Friday, June 26, 2009

The Invitation By Oriah Mountain Dreamer



THIS POEM WAS NOT WRITTEN BY ME.  
I WISH IT WAS.


It doesn’t interest me what you do for a living.


I want to know what you ache for


and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart’s longing.



 

It doesn’t interest me how old you are.


I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool


for love


for your dream


for the adventure of being alive.



 

It doesn’t interest me what planets are squaring your moon.


I want to know if you have touched the centre of your own sorrow, 


if you have been opened by life’s betrayals


or have become shrivelled and closed


from fear of further pain.



 

I want to know if you can sit with pain


mine or your own


without moving to hide it


or fade it


or fix it.



 

I want to know if you can be with joy


mine or your own


if you can dance with wildness
and

let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes


without cautioning us


to be careful


to be realistic


to remember the limitations of being human.



 

It doesn’t interest me if the story you are telling me 


is true.
I want to know if you can 
disappoint another 


to be true to yourself.


 

If you can bear the accusation of betrayal


and not betray your own soul.


If you can be faithless


and therefore trustworthy.



 

I want to know if you can see Beauty


even when it is not pretty


every day.


And if you can source your own life 


from its presence.



 

I want to know if you can live with failure


yours and mine


and still stand at the edge of the lake


and shout to the silver of the full moon,


Yes.”



 

It doesn’t interest me


to know where you live or how much money you have.


I want to know if you can get up


after the night of grief and despair


weary and bruised to the bone


and do what needs to be done


to feed the children.



 

It doesn’t interest me who you know


or how you came to be here.


I want to know if you will stand


in the centre of the fire


with me


and not shrink back.



 

It doesn’t interest me where or what or with whom


you have studied.


I want to know what sustains you


from the inside


when all else falls away.



 

I want to know if you can be alone 


with yourself


and if you truly like the company you keep


in the empty moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment