Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Perfect Timing



I feel like 
a butterfly
right now

still snuggled up
inside its
cocoon

still slick and damp
from the process
of becoming

and everything in me
wants to hurry this up
remove the layer 

between me
and what ever 
is next

to get through this
sense of vulnerability
and woundedness

from too many body blows
coming too close together
in just one short week

and I want to feel 
my strength and power 
once again

to remember how it feels
to breathe deeply
and without any pain 

but I keep 
reminding myself
of what happens

when you tear back
the cocoon of a butterfly
before it is fully formed

before it has a chance
to stretch its wings
and warm them

in the sun
and wiggle its antennae
and push out its tongue:

exposed to the air before its time 
it emerges 
deformed and broken

twisted and misshapen
unable to fly or walk
and it soon dies 

without ever having 
fully lived
as it truly should.

July 7, 2009


No comments:

Post a Comment