Monday, September 14, 2009

Betrayal

Many weeks ago now
decades ago now
eons ago now
I met Betrayal
for the first time
in my life.

He is not
a handsome creature.

Here I am, Betrayal said
on that early Sunday morning
with his big fat grin,
his teeth all showing like a shark’s.
Are you ready for another lesson
on your fancy road to Enlightenment?
Hah! he answered himself gleefully.
Of course you are not,
but here I am anyway.

He danced around the room
and mocked me openly
waving his sword around
as if he owned the place. 

And I stood there helplessly
as he handed that sword
to the unwitting human
he’d chosen for his work.

And that unwitting human
thoughtlessly and easily
bowed to Betrayal
as he took up that dark sword
and cut deep into my belly
and sliced up to my throat
and opened up a wound that
totally exposed and
completely revealed
my totally real
and completely open
and loudly beating
heart
and the red blood poured out
and puddled on the floor
and Betrayal stepped over it
in his fucking little flip-flops
and his backwards little hat
stepped right the hell over it
as if he didn’t even see it
as if he didn’t even feel
its heat.
  
September 11, 2009 
  
betray
 –verb (used with object)
1.
to deliver or expose to an enemy by treachery or disloyalty
2.
to be unfaithful in guarding, maintaining, or fulfilling
3.
to disappoint the hopes or expectations of; be disloyal to
4.
to reveal or disclose in violation of confidence
5.
to reveal unconsciously something one would preferably conceal
6.
to show or exhibit; reveal; disclose
7.
to deceive, misguide, or corrupt
8.
to seduce and desert.

2 comments:

  1. Good. It sounds like you were betrayed by somebody whom you had deeply trusted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete