Monday, November 4, 2013

Metabolism

I once
not so long ago
dreamt of an old woman
the crone figure folding laundry
in a dark warehouse
endlessly and calmly folding
a man’s white socks
who looked at me
with her deep wisdom and said,

“We always know who is going to hurt us
and how…but we go in anyway.”

I did not want to hear this. 

Even my dream self knew this meant heartache
and sadness and loss. Even now it makes me
weep with despair. 

And yet, when the time came, 
I went in anyway
to love as best I could. 

And in this moment I pay the price
and swallow the bitter pill of sweet sorrow,
begin to metabolize it in my heart and eyes and hips
and throat where it grips for a moment as if
it will never
let go. 

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes we just have to try and who knows the outcome. Very well written Suzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dave! Appreciate the feedback.

    ReplyDelete